Monday, January 10, 2011

Keeping Your Leather Hiking Boots in Good Condition

As most of my hunting friends and colleagues know, I like to hike regularly on mountain trails.  I try to log at least 15 miles per week rain or shine with a weighted pack.  This gives me a chance to fiddle with old equipment or test new equipment considerations while maintaining some level of adequate fitness. 
I was recently asked by a friend what products I use to keep my GORE-TEX® lined leather boots looking so good with the regular trail use my boots encounter.  After I fired off my response, it caused me to think about all the products I have used over the years and how long it took me to find a product that fulfilled my current needs.
Like most of you, I have tried many different types of leather care products.  The journey for me has included neatsfoot oil, mink oil, Sno-Seal, Montana Pitch-Blend, Bee Seal Plus and many others.  Some have worked better than others for my intended applications.
What I am using today is the Obenauf’s line of leather care products.  I first learned of the Obenauf’s products through my fire department friends at the then California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CDF), now known as CAL FIRE.  Many of my buddies were telling me how well Obenauf’s worked and that I should give it a try.  I did, and I liked it.

Pre-wash

Post-wash
After my hikes I typically grab the hose and rinse the mud off the soles and leather.  If mud is caked on it gets hit with a soft nylon brush as well.  Every few weeks I apply Obenauf’s Leather Oil.  This helps to preserve and protect the leather.  It is very easy to apply.   I also occasionally use the Obenauf’s Heavy Duty Leather Preservative (LP).  This is also easy to apply.


Leather Oil Application

The Obenauf’s products I use do not contain any petroleums, silicones, neatsfoot, or solvents.  They do contain natural oils which are suspended in Beeswax and Propolis according to the manufacturer.   The Propolis apparently resists mildew and bacteria.  When combined with Beeswax it repels water better and longer.

Leather Oil Prior to Being Absorbed


Oil Absorbed and 2nd Coat of LP Applied and Partially Absorbed
 To date, I have not experienced any problems associated with my GORE-TEX® lined leather boots while using these products.  If you are still looking for leather care products and have not given the Obenauf’s a try perhaps it will be just what you have been looking for all along.  Visit the Obenauf’s website and see if they have a product for your specific application.