Friday, November 28, 2014

A Handy Holster System (Guide's Choice Chest Holster)


If you spend any time at all in the outdoors with a backpack you quickly realize the problems typically associated with accessing a handgun. Especially a handgun that is adequate for work in bear country. Over the years I have tried different options and was never really satisfied.

I recently decided to try a holster system made by Diamond D Leather known as the Guide's Choice Chest Holster. The holster system was designed, tested, and is hand made in Alaska. Diamond D Leather makes other products but this is the one I decided would likely work best for me.

In essence, the Guide's Choice Chest Holster is a leather holster that works as either a chest mount or cross draw system. It is simple in design, easy to adjust, and is comfortable when worn. The system has various options that are available such as mag pouch, speed loader pouch, and open ammo carrier (the Reload).

After looking at the options that were available, I decided that I wanted a basic and uncluttered system without any cartridge holders or speed loaders. I sent a short email to Mike Barrett (Business Manager at Diamond D Leather). I let Mike know that I wanted to purchase two of these holster systems and described the weapon information. Mike responded immediately and advised they could get me what I needed for two of our S&W N Frames (Model 629) in .44 Magnum with four inch barrels. A few short days later I had both of the holsters in hand!



I followed the simple instruction to properly fit the handguns to the holsters and made a couple quick strap adjustments. Set-up was very simple and straight forward. I used the Guide's Choice Chest Holster for about two months to see how we would get along. The holster and I covered over 160 miles together on the trail while wearing a backpack.

A nice feature is this holster system allows for adjustability from a low position to a slightly higher position on the chest as well as other carry options. I have tried the holster in a variety of carry positions and I prefer it riding high on the chest on most occasions. 


While our time together has not been long, the Guide's Choice Chest Holster system has seen rain, sleet, snow and lots of rugged use. This system has allowed me to have a handgun carried securely while being able to quickly and easily bring it into action if needed.

This is a well thought out system that reflects great quality construction and craftsmanship. If a new holster system is in your future take a look at what Diamond D Leather has to offer. You might just find the perfect holster system for your needs. 

Contact Information:
907-631-4212 Leather Shop